Thursday, August 14, 2008

Step By Step, by Lon Alderman

John 14:1
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.

I am confident that through God's grace my life's journey will end in heaven. It is the daily steps of life that trip me up.

I allow the challenges and disappointments of the day to distract me. Instead of trusting God moment by moment as I travel through the day, I most often go on auto pilot. I take my eyes off of Jesus and get to work. It is then that the tripping begins.

Here's the fourth stanza to a great old hymn, "God Will Take Care of You":

Through days of toil when heart doth fail,
God will take care of you;
when dangers fierce your path assail,
God will take care of you.

Every step of the way!
Lon

2 comments:

Jarvis said...

Auto-pilot...an act that I am all to acquainted with. I often catch myself after long periods of being on auto-pilot and think "that was time I wasted, and will never get back." What really disturbs me though in reflection is how I managed to not even acknowledge God through those periods of mindless flight. I know He's there, yet I allow my mind to be consumed with the cares of this world, instead of at least talking to Him about them. Will have to work on that!

heiress said...

Lon- so true. I get going and don't even realize where I've been. Sometimes I think I am "doing" life rather than "living" life.