Thursday, August 07, 2008

Indiana Jones, by Rachel Smith

I have been enjoying the early Indiana Jones movies with my children. My favorite scene is from the original movie. This samurai guy is throwing a sword around in a wonderful display of skill and beauty. It shows just how great he is at sword fighting. Indiana assesses the situation and then shoots him.

You can see it here
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1qXlFNYoyQg&feature=related

I remember watching this in the theater as the audience rushed with laughter. This huge display of fighting technique ended in one bullet.

It made me think about the battles we face every day.
When I go into a battle do I prepare and train to show my enemy just how great I am? Am I so worried about how I will do that I forget the other guy could just pull a bullet? Or do I ensure my victory by giving the battle and the Glory to God? I think sometimes we make it harder than we have to. Thanks Indy for the reminder!

2 Chronicles 20:15
'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's.

2 comments:

Jarvis said...

That was a great scene! I love motion picture analogies! It also reminds me that we don't have to play by the devil's rules.

It also reminds me of something a friend once said. He was sparring against a 4th degree master martial artist. My friend had never studied the martial arts, but he kept winning match after match. After each match the master, who was quite frustrated by then would say, "You cannot do that--it's not proper form!" My friend finally said to him, "You were taught how to win; I was taught how to survive." You see, my friend had been Navy SEAL for nine years, so form was not the goal, nor was keeping the rules of engagement--not when your life is on the line.

I believe we should prepare and train for battle because it is part of our Father's nature, and is to become part of ours, as we become like Him. Not to strut and crow before our enemy, but to put them under our feet. To fight for love, freedom, and justice as ambassadors of the King of kings.

You're right, Rachel, I think often times we do make it harder than we have to...

Zephaniah 3:17 "The LORD your God is in your midst,A victorious warrior, He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy."

heiress said...

Amen to that!