Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Presence, by Lon Alderman

Acts 17:26-27
From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us.

Thanks to Jamie for pointing me to this passage! I love these verses (particularly verse 27) because it speaks about the closeness of God. This week I have felt the presence of the God in a new and fresh way. The experience has been awesome!

As I've traveled through some VERY busy and challenging times over the last few days, I have regularly experienced a quiet, yet powerful, presence. The experience has simultaneously calmed and awed me! I have recognized this presence in a variety of settings - some quite stressful! This presence has to be the Holy Spirit!

Now I'm working on developing the habit of looking for God as I navigate my day. I'm learning that no matter where I am or what I'm doing, "He is not far from" me!

Seek Him!
Lon

2 comments:

Jarvis said...

Lon said "Developing the habit of looking for God," and recognizing God, I might add, in every situation, that He is close. I have had a similar week to yours. Too many things flying at me, yet I was calmed and awed at the same time as well. One evening I'm out in the proverbial sticks and my cell phone stops working, conflicting meeting schedules, vehicle making concerning sounds, and last night I snapped my $100 fishing rod in the tailgate, and that was all just yesterday. All opportunities that tempt you to think you're about to be stranded, alone, or financially drained. This time though I found myself calmly turning and smiling at God, as it were, and without having to speak a word, I handed my dilemma over, and went back to the task at hand.

I am coming to learn that these disconcerting "opportunities" that present themselves are actually intersections, not roadblocks, avalanches, or dead ends. Opportunities to acknowledge God, and his supremacy over your situations.

I'm a man so genetically I feel the need to fix everything and when I can't, I hate to say it, but I feel lost, inadequate, and helpless--hence, the "opportunity".
Emotionally flying off the handle (along with the fear and fretting that accompany it) hasn't just been counter productive, but a personal indictment. The indictment is that my reaction to the situation says my resources have been exhausted--there is no hope.

What a different heart-position it is to peacefully stop at that intersection, turn, and acknowledge God. If have often thought to myself if I were God and two of my children were in need, and one of them trusted me, while there other did not, which would I be more joyful about helping? Of course He would help both, but that's not what I'm asking. Are we not just more apt to jump to the rescue of someone who 'believes' in us? I wonder how many times God has delayed my assistance, simply wanting me to first acknowledge Him, end then extent a little faith that He is able to help in my time of need?

Thanks Lon for getting my gears crankin'!

Lon Alderman said...

Jarvis,

You're welcome! With you're permission, I'd like to post a portion of your comment as today's Build UP. I think the first two paragraphs would fit nicely under the title, "Intersections". Is that OK with you?

Thank you!