Sunday, August 03, 2008

All I Need, by Lon Alderman

Philippians 4:18-20
I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

These are challenging times for those of us that depend on donations to keep their ministry afloat! Two tough factors have converged. First, this is summer, which is a chronically challenging time to raise funds. Second, this economy has people running a bit scared. The result in my case is that donations have decreased to a disconcerting level.

If I’m not very careful, my concerns about the financial future of this ministry can become overwhelming. The truth is that the circumstances are overwhelming, just like God planned it! That is, if I could fund this ministry on my own merits, then I would expect the glory for it, too. But nothing could be further from the truth. It is only through God’s provision that we are serving in our sixth year!

“To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.”
Lon

4 comments:

Jarvis said...

Good point, Lon. I think those of us that have "traditional" jobs tend to forget that it's the Lord who gives us the power to make wealth. We dress up, research a company, have all our questions ready, practice interviewing, and manage to get the job--and then we think it was our doing that made it all happen. I'm betting those who depend on donations are more acutely aware of Who the source and supplier is! The rest of are just somewhat oblivious until the job (the "steady" income) is gone...

Lon Alderman said...

Jarvis,

Great comment! Wouldn't it be great if a disruption in our income failed to cause us anxiety? The path to that happening would require utter-dependence on God and trust that He will provide.

Thank you for participating in this encouragement-blog! If you'd like to put a post together, please mail it to me at:

Lon@AcornMinistries.com

No pressure!
Lon

Jarvis said...

Hey Lon,

I'll think about putting a post together for your blog. I have really enjoyed your insight, and Rachels!

Lon Alderman said...

And I've enjoyed yours! Thanks for considering a post as I'm sure it would encourage others. - Lon