Sunday, August 24, 2008

I will help you, by Rachel Smith

Writing is a funny thing. Sometimes I think I have something great to say and then it comes out all gibberish. Other times I have nothing to say and then I get all this great feedback that it helped someone.

I think that's how I know if I have prayed enough before I write. Come to think of it, that's how I know if I have prayed enough before any decision or action in my life. If it goes well (not necessarily easy mind you) and I feel at peace, then to me this is a sign God is in it.

Ironically, I tend to fight this. I want to rush in and decide, move, get it done. In my defense I am a leader and normally these qualities are seen as positive. But God is the ultimate leader. And when I lead under His guidance things go so much better. Today I will learn to follow and trust in the one that created me.

Moses had these same troubles.

Exodus 4:10-12
Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue."

The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."

1 comment:

Jarvis said...

I have the same experience when it comes to working on the house! I hate working on the house. I have few tools, lesser ambition, and very little funds to devote to it most of the time. This past month is a great example. I have been out of work for 4+ months. I have lived in this house for 11 years. I have done more to the house in the last three weeks than in the last 11 years. The grace comes, I work, it's amazing. There's no arguing God was at work in me and through me when people see the results (and when I'm working on the house!). People were asking my wife, "Is he okay?"

One thing I do see happen at times with people who haven't accepted their "leadership" trait (and with some who have) is this. Sometimes they discount God's hand in a task when they're in the 'zone'. They tend to think they're doing it all in their own power, and a sense of false humility settles over them because the task seemed so easy. My experience has been that often times, what I seem to be naturally good at (in the 'zone'), can be an indication of my giftings. Other times, like you said, it seems like gibberish to me and I cannot remember what I wrote or did two minutes later, but someone else seemed to think it was pretty ingenious.

Writing is in deed a funny thing. The trick seems to be not to over-think what you're trying to communicate, and just write form the heart. Peace, too, is a great referee that lets you know if you're inbounds, or not. Some of people's greatest inspirations have come on the heels of a simple God-given notion just moments before. Take home message: Don't fight the wind. Make subtle adjustments that allow you to use it to your advantage--and sail on!