Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Acorn Build Up: Love = Action

Love = Action

1John 3:18
Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

When we talk about "love" most of us think about emotions or feelings. This passage from 1John seems to point to a different use of the word. Here love is presented as something to be acted out in truth.

If love is an emotion or feeling, then I find Jesus' command to "...Love your enemies..." (Matthew 5:44) a huge challenge! Until only recently I've struggled with that passage. How could I possibly feel all warm and fuzzy about the guy that just cut me off in traffic? Now I understand that Jesus is telling me to behave toward my enemy in a way that demonstrates love. In the case of the bad driver, I could slow down and make some room for him.

Love your enemy!
Lon

If you have a suggestion for a Daily Build Up topic, please send them to me at: Lon@AcornMinistries.com

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

good stuff!

Lon Alderman said...

Jonathan - thanks for your comment and for visiting the Daily Build Up! - Lon