Monday, April 02, 2007

Acorn Build Up: Travel Light

Travel Light

Luke 9:2-3
...[Jesus] sent [the Twelve] out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. He told them: "Take nothing for the journey - - no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra tunic.

I love backpacking. I particularly enjoy the packing phase for the journey. I plan out every tiny detail of the contents of my backpack. I take so much stuff! My thinking is that I want to be prepared for any and all emergencies.

Jesus sends out His disciples with next to nothing. As a backpacker I would have wondered how, then, are we to survive the emergencies and adventures associated with travel on foot? I'm surprised none of the disciples asked this question. Instead we read that Jesus told the disciples what to do, and they did it.

As we follow God today, let us ask Him what He wants us to do and let's leave the how up to Him.

Happy hiking!
Lon

No comments: