Monday, November 27, 2006

Acorn Build Up: "Seek First" (11/27)

Seek First

Matthew 6:33-34
…seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

This is a very challenging passage of scripture for me. As far back as I can remember I learned to plan and prepare for tomorrow. And with my planning came anxiety regarding the possibility that my plans might not succeed. It’s practically a cultural norm to fret about tomorrow.

But that’s not what Jesus teaches! Jesus teaches us to seek the LORD, first. Jesus didn’t say, “Work it out the best you can, and if it doesn’t work out, then seek me.” No, Jesus calls us to look to God first.

God knows what we need! (see Matthew 6:32) However, we need to recognize that our true needs may have little or nothing to do with our wants. When we trust God, we can count on our eternal needs being satisfied. And if our eternal, real needs are known to God, then there is no reason to worry about tomorrow.

No comments: