Monday, October 23, 2006

Acorn Build Up: "Needs" (10/23)

Needs

Philippians 4:19
"And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus."

One of these days soon, my daughter will start creating her Christmas list. She will include everything she sees on TV, plus all the items the kids at school are talking about. The hardest part about getting her list is that I won't be able to get every item that she wants.

What is on your list? Is it full of needs or wants? A challenge in the Christian life is identifying what is a "need" and what is a "want".

One summer I prayed day and night that God would give me patience to be able to handle a difficult circumstance in my ministry. After weeks of prayer the issues seemed to be getting more difficult, and my patience was not growing. I shared this with a pastor and got this response, "I'd recommend you stop praying for patience, because God is giving you the perfect circumstances you need to learn it (patience)!"

It would be a neat exercise to make a new list of the things that I need. My guess is that that list would be short, and would include few luxury items.

"...do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need [my emphasis] them. but seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." (Matthew 6:31-33)

God will meet our needs!

No comments: