Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Acorn Build Up: "Comfort" (10/17)

Comfort

2Corinthians 1:3-5
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows."

As Christians we should expect suffering in our life. By choosing to stand with Jesus, we also choose to suffer alongside Him. But take heart, comfort is available in our suffering.

Take comfort in the Lord!


That sounds easy enough, but I must admit it's not my first response to discomfort. All too often I look to other people to ease my suffering. When I take my hurts to another person, then I get a human response. Rarely do I find satisfaction from human comforters.

Eventually, after I've exhausted the opportunities to share my dis-ease with people, I come around to sharing my hurt with God. It is at this point when the real comfort begins to flow. "And the peace of God, which tanscends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7)

As we, in turn, are called upon to give comfort to others, we can pass on the comfort that we have received from God. In this way their comfort will also be found in the Lord.


No comments: