Monday, March 31, 2008

Guest Builder: Rachel Smith - Threat

I work at Western Illinois University and this past week all employees and staff were issued a security alert. A note was found near campus that threatened a shooting. As a result many people went through a huge range of emotions, tears flowed, mother's called their children, people ranted and raved and the administration evaluated the best course of action. As the busy pace of a University was suddenly halted I was reminded what a difference faith makes.
I know that this threat, real or perceived, can not change who God is. He is the same today, tomorrow and forever. Threat or no threat, God is still in charge.
I was also reminded of the power of our words. Whoever said, "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me," was wrong. Our words can do great measure to help or hurt those around us.
And so I stayed at work. Confident in God and trusting His plan, even if I don't always understand it. And when I had a moment, I wrote this. To use words to build up and not to harm. I think we can all use a reminder of the power of words.

Ephesians 4:29 (New International Version)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

No comments: