Sunday, March 16, 2008

Guest Builder: Rachel Smith - The Door

I have been a little preoccupied with doors as of late. We built a deck last fall and are in the process of choosing a door to lead from our kitchen to our deck. I never knew I had so many choices in a door: French, sliding, single entry, double entry. So I have started to really look at all the doors I go in and out of. This morning I opened my bedroom door, closed the bathroom door, locked the house door, opened the garage door, slid the van door and pulled out of the driveway. Five doors and I hadn't even gotten to work!

All these doors have different appearances but the same purpose. They serve as a swinging or sliding barrier intended to keep us safe, to let in friends and keep out burglars, to protect us from the cold and wind. With out a door, I will just have a huge gaping hole in my kitchen! As I shop for a door that is functional and beautiful I am reminded of the one door that never wears out and always protects, a door that fills all of my huge gaping holes.

I will try to see Him in every door I use today.

John 10:9 (English Standard Version) I am the door. If anyone enters by me he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture.

2 comments:

amy m. provine said...

Thanks Rachel,

I needed that. In and out of the many doors that I might travel through in a day, I rarely think of that. Sometimes believe it or not I become mission focused instead of experientially focused. Especially when cramming that screaming toddler through the car door, LOL.

I will be pondering this ;)

heiress said...

Your welcome. I also appreciate YOUR comment- sometimes it's hard to know if anyone actually reads these. Nice to hear you do!
p.s.
still no door purchase made as of yet. I am kinda enjoying door shopping and thinking about what that door will remind me of. It's gotta be just the right one!