Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Build UP: Wrecking Ball

James 3:8-10
...no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.

I see it in the eyes of my daughter. Even though I only wanted to correct, I see in her defeated expression that I did it again! I crushed her. My words were meant to guide and teach, but when I'm not careful those good intentions amount to nothing but hurts and wounds.

I've seen the other possibility, too! On occasion I'll compliment a dance move, a new drawing, or a particularly creative outfit and the results are awesome! She gets a puffed up, proud, and confident.

We have the same power to inflict pain or build up adults, too! We can be a big old wrecking ball to everyone we meet. Or, we can be the person that encourages and strengthens those around us.

Speak building words!
Lon

No comments: