Thursday, March 06, 2008

Build UP: Confidence

Philippians 1:6
...being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

One of the many issues that the Lord hammers me on is my self-reliance. It's not really my fault. After all, God gave me these gifts! How can I help the fact that I draw a significant level of confidence from them?

All kidding aside, God gave us every one of our gifts. And its the Giver of the gifts that we should look to for our confidence, not the gifts themselves.

God started a "work" in each of us. The cool message in this passage is that God will see us and that work through to the end. God is perfectly worthy of our confidence.

Be confident in the Lord!
Lon

2 comments:

Pheaney said...

Philippians 1:6 was the Camp of Champions theme verse a few years back. I'm reminded of another benefit of placing our confidence in Christ: After we minister to someone, we can 'let them go'... it's not our job to see their life change. God is able to carry the good work on to completion.

Looking forward to seeing you April 10!

Lon Alderman said...

Excellent thought, Pheaney! That's particularly important for those of us who minister to people seasonally, or, in some cases, only once. We can find confidence in Christ that those we minister to will be in the very best hands.

I'm looking forward to April 10th, too! It will be a great reunion!

[Note: I will be speaking at a meeting of Christian Camp leaders from all over Illinois.]