Sunday, February 03, 2008

Guest Builder: Rachel Smith

When I was in high school I went to France as a foreign exchange student for a short time. I lived with a family in a town called Dole and attended the local high school. I had learned the language and the culture enough to be able to eat out, shop, visit Paris and not fail out of school completely. I adjusted ok. But I remember missing other Americans. Every time I saw an American classmate or even a tourist, I was drawn to them. We would talk excitedly and hurriedly about the goings on of things in America. I remember loving those conversations and holding on to every word, not wanting to miss any details.

The comfort of someone else understanding me with out a strain of translation is somewhat difficult to put into words. There was a peace that this other human connected with me on some level that words can’t fulfill. I could speak with French friends, I could understand and embrace their culture, but it wasn’t mine. On some affective level I truly didn’t belong. When I saw another American a kindred spirit arouse in me and made my heart jump and race just a bit, someone who would understand the nuances of our communication.

That feeling rushed back to me today. I was dropping my son at school and heading to work, like any other day, when I drove past a woman who attends my church. My heart raced a little, my face brightened as I waved and smiled. I don’t really know this woman enough to call her friend, but we have the same culture. We are both Christians. We are both Foreigners in this land. We are to understand the culture here to be able to function, but not be a part of it. We connect in our hearts because we belong to the same Father, the same family. And there are days, here in this land, which I desire with all of my heart to go home.

I hope and pray today that you don’t belong. That you don’t fit in. That you live as strangers in this land.
1 Peter 1:17Since you call on a Father who judges each man's work impartially, live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear.
1 Peter 2:11Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.
John 17:16They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.

1 comment:

Lon Alderman said...

Posted by Lon for Karen:

Rachel...I have been meaning to email u all week..so I am doing it now. Your guest builder hit a "nerve" with me about not belonging and feeling like a stranger...I know you will understand this...the issue is the Deaf...the Deaf students at WIU...feeling alone in a University of hundreds and feeling the outsider. It is the same for all of the Deaf in regards to religion..most have not grown up with religion because there were never interpreters...churchs can't find an interpreter or they don't want to pay for one small child or one adult ....it's a life long process if that family is a member of that church so it becomes expensive. I found this with my 2 children..even tho I faithfully took them every week and most of the time I interpreted for them (against their protests of "why are we the only ones with their "mommy" following them around...especially in the teenage years). And then there is the issue of lots of music and our style of music is really not in their culture. They have their own form of "music" which is visual not audio! It is really very beautiful. There are many other differences, these are just a few. Anyway I just wanted to comment. Please pray that there are people out there that are willing to minister to this culture and thank you for reminding me again that there are people as yourself out there that truly understand.

Karen