Monday, February 18, 2008

Build UP: Finishing

Finishing

2Timothy 4:7
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

On Tuesday (2/19) I will be involved in my third funeral in as many weeks. Facing this much death has had an impact on my thinking. This passage written by Paul came to mind. I really want to make that kind of statement at the end of my "race".

I think the biggest challenge with finishing well is that we really have no idea where the finish line is. If I could see the finish line and it's very close, then I could muster up my strength for a finishing "kick". On the other hand, if I realize that the finish line is a long way off, then I might pace myself for the long haul. Both strategies have a down side.

Seeing so much death and the unpredictable nature of its timing, I'm starting to think that it's not about pace. Rather, finishing well, no matter how long the race, seems to depend on a faithful effort. If every day I get up and faithfully follow Jesus, then when my final day comes I will have kept the faith, no matter when that day comes.

Keep the faith!
Lon

No comments: