Friday, February 08, 2008

Build UP: Leaning

Leaning

Proverbs 3:5
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding...

Which way do you lean? Do you really trust the Lord, or do you trust your own mind? My answers vary with every passing minute.

Most often I lean into my own understanding. After all, God blessed me with a half-way functional brain. However, when I lean into my own understandings, I am no longer trusting in the Lord. Instead, I substitute my dependence on Jesus with trust in my own mind. It happens so subtly and before long I've replaced Jesus on the throne of my life with my very human, extremely fallible, regularly self-centered, and constantly ill-informed understandings.

On the other hand, there are times when I fully lean into the Lord. Those are awesome moments when I set aside my egocentric understandings and trust God. In every instance the way the Lord leads is contrary to what makes sense to me. Often following Jesus seems like borderline foolishness! But amazing things happen when I let go and embrace His will! And in time, I see the genius of the Lord’s direction.

Trust in the Lord!
Lon

No comments: