Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Build UP: Denial

Denial

Matthew 16:24
Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

Jesus teaches us to live in denial. No, not a river in Africa. And no, He doesn't call us to live in ignorance of our "issues". Rather, Jesus calls us to live a life that is Other-focused. That message has a strange ring in our world.

Our culture screams the opposite as it bombards us daily with the message that we should pamper and care for ourselves. After all, "we deserve it!" Frankly, it's an attractive message! We all work hard. It seems somehow fair that we should bask in the glow of our accomplishments.

But Jesus teaches me to give my life away. (Matthew 16:25) Deny myself. Put Christ first! Don’t worry about tomorrow. Follow Jesus! Don’t store up treasures on earth. Deny myself. Take all the gifts that God has given me and endorse them over to Jesus. Deny myself.

Live in denial!
Lon

No comments: