Monday, February 25, 2008

Build UP: Be Careful!

Ephesians 5:15-17
Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is.

I don't believe that the caution called for here is the kind that suggests we dig a big hole somewhere and crawl inside where it is safe. No, I believe this kind of careful is the kind that recognizes the fleeting nature of life and guards against wasting it.

Bill Allison, founder of Cadre Ministries, states it something like this: "Life is so short and I want to invest every minute of it for Jesus." I agree! And the more I try to live this out the more I'm losing patience with things that waste time.

I want to "make the most" of the time I have left. My time may be measured in decades or it may be measured in minutes. I truly don't know which, either way I'm choosing to invest whatever is given me in building up the body of Christ.

Here's a challenge: Pay attention to how you "spend" today. If you really want to track your "spending", take a piece of paper and divide it in two columns with the headings "unwise" and the other "wise". Then make notes as to how you use the time God gives you today.

You have one earthly life, spend it wisely.
Lon

No comments: