Thursday, February 15, 2007

Acorn Build Up: Scripture Time

Scripture Time

2Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Believe me when I say that I am not a Bible scholar. I love the Bible, but I am not very knowledgeable about it. Even though I can't name the books of the Bible in order, scripture is the primary medium through which God speaks to me. I want to encourage you to spend some time this weekend reading the Bible.

The task of reading the Bible is quite daunting when viewed as a 1000+ page book. Instead, approach the Bible as a bunch of books in one big Book. Now, try to attack one of those books by reading one chapter each day. Before you know it you've read a whole book. Now choose another one...

One of the awesome things about the electronic age that we live in is that we can access the Bible digitally. In a digital format one can search for key words or phrases throughout the Bible. This has opened my eyes to awesome passages of scripture that don't seem to be in the mainstream.

How do you fit reading scripture into your busy life? Email me your suggestions or leave a comment on this blog.

Thanks!
Lon

2 comments:

heiress said...

Technology has truely helped to spread the gospel to the ends of the earth. Blogs are a great example! I use Biblegateway.com almost daily. They have several reading plans outlined. You can read on-line in about any version of the Bible you like. Check it off on your reading list electronically and never leave your desk! This is how I spend my breaks at work. The really cool thing is you can read a passage of scripture in mulitple translations. Or do a word search. It allows me to follow one topic or one passage. Often times instead of trying to read throgh the Bible. I will "chew" on one passage for several days. Let it sink in. Apply it to my life. Look up what the words mean in the Hebrew or Greek. It's a great way to get to know God.
Think about it. The close friends and family you have. The ones that you can name their favorite color,favorite song and biggest fear. These are the people you have spent time talking with, getting to know, thinking about.
I try to spend that time with God. His book gives us glimpses into who He is. What His favorites are, what His likes and dislikes are. I wonder which color is His favorite??

Lon Alderman said...

Heiress,

Awesome comment! I especially appreciate the Biblegateway.com address and your description of spending time with God to know Him like a friend.

Thank you!
Lon