Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Acorn Build Up: Listening in the Dark

Listening in the Dark

Matthew 10:27
Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops.

One of the scariest moments in my life was on a wilderness canoe trip in northern Minnesota. I was in my tent and had just about fallen to sleep when I heard it. It sounded like a human body had been dropped into the lake about 20 feet away! For what seemed like hours I listened for every breaking twig, every passing breeze, and every rustle in the leaves. My hearing was so cranked up that my beard on my sleeping bag sounded like a canoe on a gravel bar!

I think that's the kind of listening God wants from us when we are in the dark. You know, those times when spiritually we're out of sorts; nothing seems to be going according to our plans. Unfortunately, our temptation is to close our ears and open our mouth. Oswald Chambers wrote:

...pay attention when God puts you into darkness, and keep your mouth closed while you are there...if you open your mouth in the dark, you will speak while in the wrong mood - darkness is the time to listen...just listen and obey...God will give you a very precious message for someone else once you are back in the light. (Excerpt from My Utmost for His Highest)

Currently in the light,
Lon

No comments: