Sunday, June 08, 2008

Covenant, by Rachel Smith

I recently took a trip via airplane and watched the flight attendant do a very interesting thing. After explaining what to do in an emergency and pointing out the exits over the wings, she went right to the people sitting in the exit aisle, looked them square in the eye and said, "In the event of an emergency I need you to open these doors. Are you willing to do this?" The passengers she was addressing nodded. She waited and explained more firmly, "I need a verbal response. In the event of an emergency will you do this?" The passengers confirmed their agreement with a hardy 'yes'.

That's it.

The passengers had agreed to the task the first time, but by verbally responding, their covenant with the flight attendant was sealed. There could be no misunderstanding. They agreed to the job. This verbal contract binds them with a commitment to the task. The requirement of an audible oath makes them more likely to respond appropriately if needed.

Our agreement with God holds us accountable for our actions. He already knows our hearts, but confession seals our covenant with God. What do you need to confess today?

Psalm 32:5 (New International Version)

Then I acknowledged my sin to you
and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, "I will confess
my transgressions to the LORD "—
and you forgave
the guilt of my sin.
Selah

No comments: