Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Another Cure for Pride, by Lon Alderman

Psalm 139:1-3
O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.

Honesty is another cure for pride! Our pride stems from selective self-knowledge that amplifies our positives. We puff ourselves up with "our successes" and down-play our failures. We pat ourselves on the back as we compare ourselves to others and soft-pedal our relative shortcomings.

However, when we look at ourselves as God sees us, we find little upon which to be prideful. Instead, we see the sin lurking in the shadows of our lives. Through God's eyes we see clearly the errors of our motivations, actions, and thoughts.

Psalm 139:23-24
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

No comments: