Sunday, April 13, 2008

Guest Builder: Rachel Smith - Pet Lessons

About 3 years ago our cat died and after several months of mourning we decided to adopt not only a cat but also a dog. I have two children and one loves cats and the other loves dogs. So we ended up with one of each.
Our dog is a lap dog in every sense of the word. She weighs about 8 pounds and is never happier than sitting at my feet or laying in my lap. She becomes a fierce creature should anyone raise their voice or lift a hand to harm me. (Something my husband finds very funny and pretends to do just to provoke her). She even follows me from room to room no matter what I am doing just to be near me. I don't know when she decided that I would be the one she would love and admire, but her actions show me her love and devotion.
She often makes me think, "how do I show my love for Jesus?"
Do I jump with joy at the sight of Him? Do I wait patiently at His feet for even the slightest recognition? Do I lay next to Him wanting just to feel His warmth near me? Will I guard and protect Him at all costs? Do I follow Him wherever He leads, never questioning why? And will I come to Him every day needing Him for food, water, shelter and love? Sometimes I wish I were more like my dog.

Matthew 22:37 (New International Version)

Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

No comments: