Thursday, April 17, 2008

"Be Still", by Rachel Smith

It was about 5:30 the other morning and my youngest son woke up an hour earlier than usual and stumbled into my room. “I had a bad dream” was all he said. I lifted the blanket and pulled him into our bed. Opening just one eye I peeked at the clock, only one more hour, he could stay here.

I was nearly back to sleep when I got the first little elbow in the stomach. Then he shifted rolled and turned some more. I waited, he calmed and then it started again. It felt to me like the Olympic tumbling team had decided to rob me of my last precious hour of sleep.

“BE STILL” I barked at him.

At that moment I could feel God smiling down on me. He gently reminded me how busy and restless I get. How He wants to give me rest and comfort but I keep tossing and turning trying to comfort myself. The familiar verse came back to me not in smooth melody but as a command that I must not ignore. “Be Still” And then we both fell back to sleep.

“Be still and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10

No comments: