Friday, December 01, 2006

Acorn Build Up: Logs (12/1)

This Build Up was inspired by my good friend Marty Mogk. Marty is one of my personal encouragers. Hardly a week goes by that I don't receive some kind of thoughtful support from him. For information about Marty's encouragement ministry, please email me at: lon@acornministries.com

Logs

Matthew 7:3
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

If I could gather up all of the lumber that has resided in my eye, I could build a 4-bedroom home! I seem to have 20/20 vision for other people's specks, but I'm almost blind to my planks.

For me the trouble starts when I am uncomfortable with the other person, you know, the one with the huge speck in his eye! The more uncomfortable I get, the more I start speck hunting. I'll admit it, I get downright judgmental. I'm learning that the concentration it takes to do microscopic surgery on his eye temporarily distracts me from my own 4-bedroom eye discomfort.

Discomfort is a great warning light that we are spiritually off center. As the urge to speckhunt emerges that's the time to check out a mirror. Ask God the question, "What is it that's really bothering me about this?" Then ask Him to help extract the plank. As the plank is removed, it is amazing how much clearer we will see the other person!

Thank you Marty for the inspiration for this Build Up and for your years of encouragement!
Lon

No comments: