Friday, October 09, 2009

Pastor Appreciation Month

I just read Robb McCoy's blog about Pastor Appreciation Month. Robb made a list of the pastors that have influenced his life (Robb's post) and I'm inspired to do the same thing!

My list will include both traditional pastors (those that had a pastoral responsibility for me) and non-traditional "pastors" that also influenced me. I will approach this chronologically.

David Bultemeier led my confirmation class. I remember his gentle spirit and his intelligent sermons. I also remember he and Joanne (his wife), my parents, and another couple (The Dillows) laughing hysterically in our dining room. He taught me that a pastor is a regular person with a sense of humor and everything! We're still in touch after almost 40 years!

Dan Moran for patiently guiding me to a relationship with Jesus during the summer of 1986 at YMCA Camp High Harbour (GA). Dan was involved with InterVarsity and working as the water front director that summer. I wish I knew where he ended up.

Dr. Mike McGowan taught me at Western Illinois University. I know that doesn't make him a pastor, but I credit Mike for putting the first intellectual legs on my faith.

Lori Bultemeier is a friend from high school who is an ordained deacon in our conference. I deeply appreciate her friendship and encouragement, because she knows where I've been and how far I've come!

Mark Caldwell is the director of Dickson Valley Camp and Retreat Center (Newark, IL). He is a tremendous influence on my faith walk.

Jason Woolever nursed me back to spiritual health after serving 6.5 years in our conference camp and retreat ministries program. He's incredibly well read and keeps my "books to read" list full! In addition, Jason asks me the toughest questions about my faith walk. Iron does sharpen iron!

Keith Zimmerman is my District Superintendent. He's a tremendous encourager and is responsible for my current appointment, which is going great! He also teaches me regularly that administrators can continue to be pastoral, encouraging, and competent!

Grant Armstrong is the associate pastor at my home church. He has taught me that "excellence" doesn't have to be a dirty word in the Church.

This list could go on and on...but I'll stop (for now).

Please take a few minutes to write your list. More importantly, please tell your "pastors" about the difference they have made in your life.

1Thessalonians 5:12-13 (The Message)
And now, friends, we ask you to honor those leaders who work so hard for you, who have been given the responsibility of urging and guiding you along in your obedience. Overwhelm them with appreciation and love!

No comments: