Thursday, October 29, 2009

Creating a Masterpiece

Here's another odd part of my personality. When I have sufficient time, I really enjoy creating meals out of whatever I can find in the kitchen. I enjoy the creative process of taking what is there and making it into something edible. I jokingly refer to these concoctions as masterpieces!

The goal of my creative endeavor is to make something to eat. The challenge is to make something edible out of the ingredients available to me in the house at that time. This isn't about running to the store for groceries or planning the menu in advance. It's simply using what is available to accomplish the goal.

What if we applied this to our walk as followers of Jesus?

Jesus said, "This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." (John 15:8)

If we are disciples of Jesus, then we will "bear much fruit" for the purpose of God receiving glory. In other words, the goal of our discipleship is to glorify the name of God, the Father, through the "fruit we bear" in Christ.

What then are the
ingredients for achieving this goal? I propose that we creatively use whatever we find in the "kitchen".

Paul wrote, "...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." (Philippians 4:11)

The ingredients for the masterpieces we are creating are found in every circumstance, person, difficulty, and joy that we face today. Our masterpiece depends upon our willingness to take what we find and do something creatively with it with the goal of bringing God glory!

This isn't about wishing things were different. Rather, it's about taking what God places in our path and creating a masterpiece for His glory!

Get creative!
Lon

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lon, once again I am amazed by the synchronicity you and I seem to have with one another. This time, when I read this article, I can't help but see the parallel message of the keynote I gave last week on "Are you and your business authentic?" You inform me even further with the concept of knowing the "ingredients" to my goals. Excellent mental model!

Ironically, I used a clip from the Disney/Pixar movie "Ratatouille", which is all about cooking, to illustrate a similar point: that each of us has a "rat in our toque" that defines who we are, how we appeal, and either holds us back or propels us ahead toward our goals. Further, we need to know and understand and "own up" to this "secret recipe" for our goals to achieve them and make the pursuit worthy of the Kingdom of God.

Thank you for adding yet another informative and inspiring start to my day!

Lon Alderman said...

How cool is that? Any chance that your keynote will be made public? And, if so, where might we find it?

BTW, I love that movie and I really appreciate your "rat in our toque" application! Brilliant!

You are a blessing, Mark!

Lon