Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Why We Must Study

Imagine a child that quits school after completing eighth grade. Wouldn't we feel sorry for the kid? Wouldn't we be deeply concerned about how he will make it in this world with such a limited education.

Funny isn't it? Funny - in the sad ironic use of the word - that we don't think much at all about a child that stops learning about our faith at about that age. We do little beyond wringing our hands about the fact that most kids stop attending Bible study of any kind around eighth grade.

This past weekend I had, yet another, paradigm shift in my theology. I had previously held an understanding related to my faith as sacrosanct. That all changed when I participated in a relatively short and simple Bible study on the subject.

Now my understanding of God is expanded! Now my faith is deeper! Now my life is healthier! Now my walk as a man of Jesus is stronger!

There is so much to learn! How can we quit our faith education at such a tender young age? How can we stop studying?

2Timothy 3:16-17
Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God's way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us.

Please pick up your Bible and start reading it today! Then join a small group or a Bible study!

We must study so we can be trained for our work in God's kingdom.
Lon

9 comments:

Pheaney said...

Great Point! Keep studying!

Lon Alderman said...

Thanks for the encouraging comment, Pheaney! Hope all is well with you and yours.

Lon

Anonymous said...

Hi Lon

This is a hot topic with me as well. I have worked with leaders in the church who do not study the Bible and have a hard time seeing the truth written within it. Hopefully as you work with church leaders you will encourage them back to the Biblical roots of the faith.

Lon Alderman said...

Susan Molloy Owens wrote...
I always say, we make our kids go to school. But some people say, "I don't want to make my child hate church, so I don't make them go." Do they not care that they will hate school? They won't! They'll learn. Church and S.S. are going to take them even farther.....to eternity!

Lon Alderman said...

Pauly Hubbard wrote...
Excellent point! And here's a thought too, it is being proven that one way to circumvent alzheimers is to keep your brain active, especially as you grow older! Recommendations are to play brain type of games like sudoku, take continuing education classes, develop and learn new hobbies. And, it is a proven fact that students who memorize Bible ... Read Moreverses see an overall improvement in their school scores. So why would you NOT continue learning God's word and growing up in your faith? It's a no brainer to me! (Was that appropriate verbiage??? LOL)

Lon Alderman said...

Susan, great point! Sadly public education has done a much better job of describing the "necessity" of an education. The church has not done so well!

Lon Alderman said...

Pauly, that's a good tie-in with the development and maintenance of our brains. The key to developing an adult desire to study the Bible is developing that interest when people are young. It's one of those good habits that, when developed, could last a lifetime. In this case I would refer to this as a "brainer"! (Typed with a Grin)

Lon Alderman said...

Pauly Hubbard wrote...
I get you, Lon!! :-) I was saved at 8 years old, went to a church that taught the Bible, was on Bible quizzes for years as a teen, been going to church ALL of my life (except when I first got married and "rebelled" by not going to church on Wednesday nights! - lasted all of a whole month!). We've been youth leaders, Bibles study teachers and on ... Read Moreand on.

I'm thinking if anyone wanted to say that they've been there and done that and knew it all, I could say it too. But you know what? Just yesterday I got such a profound truth out of a verse I've heard and known since I was a tweeny. Hebrews 11:1. Now imagine that. I actually learned something new about something I thought I already knew!!!

Lon Alderman said...

Exactly the point, Pauly! It's been my experience that God reveals aspects of scripture to me when I'm ready and not before. This characteristic of the Bible is totally lost if we don't invest in studying it! Again, thank you for illuminating my point so well!