Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Where is your faith?, by Lon Alderman

Luke 8:23-25
As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Master, Master, we're going to drown!"

He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. "Where is your faith?" he asked his disciples.

In fear and amazement they asked one another, "Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him."

I don't know about where you live, but people around here are starting to get a little skittish. Fear about the economy, jobs, retirement, and the general affordability of life has gripped this portion of the world. People look forward and only see trouble!

The disciples must have felt the same way. Looking around them they saw only bad news! They thought, "Surely this is the end!"

Jesus asks a simple, but profound question, "Where is your faith?"

Is our faith in our portfolio? Is our faith in our job? Is our faith in our government? If so, then our faith is set upon things of this world. Nothing of this world will last. It will all fail in the end. However, Jesus, who controls the wind and waters, is the same for eternity. Jesus will never fail!

Where is your faith?
Lon

1 comment:

Jarvis said...

I have found that many people's faith is in direct proportion to the intensity of the storms they have previously weathered. This may not sound like faith at all, but a sailors experiential confidence based upon what he now feels he can withstand. Or is it?...

If we consider faith being "the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen" from Hebrews 11:1, my assurance and convictions will fall or stand on one of two premises. Either in the integrity of the One I have trusted my life to, or in my perceived ability (or others) to rescue me. At the heart of faith truly is an expectancy of something or someone to deliver.

There's a revised version of Luke 8 in my head where Jesus says instead of "Where's you faith?", but rather "In whom or what do you place your confidence?" I know it's semantics, but for me that more clearly articulates the core of the issue. Something over the years that has helped me to truly determine where my faith or confidence lies is in my reactions. The disciple's reaction to the storm was very telling. My reactions to life's storms have also been telling. I am endeavoring to purposefully change those responses. I do not steal or lie because I know it would break my Father's heart. But what about fear? Jesus also commanded us not to fear, but how remorseful (and repentant) have I been about that?

My daughter has often had more faith in me as a father, than I have in my Father. If her routine response to the storms over the last 17 years had been fear for lack of belief that I would take care of her, I would have been broken hearted, I can tell you that, knowing how much I love her. What motivates the children of the Living-Loving God to make the irrational decision to fear? My only conclusion is that what we really fear, for the believer and non-believer alike, is loss, and the pain it will cause either us, and/or someone we love. Loss or the possibility of loss can obviously be very difficult. What has proved to be more difficult for me is to remember is that what is truly of eternal value I shall never lose...

So who commands you winds and waves today? And what will be your response?

Jarvis