Thursday, September 25, 2008

Character, by Rachel Smith

Romans 5:3-5 (New International Version)
Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

I am not defined by the situations I am given, but how I react to the situations I am given. This reaction shows my character. Reacting consistently in line with God's will shows perseverance. I have been given some pretty character building situations and must admit I do not always react in a way pleasing to God. But the last line of this verse caught my attention today.

God has poured out His love into our hearts. It is His love that gives us hope. That hope is our salvation. And for that I can rejoice in sufferings.

No comments: