Thursday, September 18, 2008

Intentionality, by Lon Alderman

Luke 9:51
As the time approached for him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem.

Jesus had only recently come down from the mountain upon which He was "transfigured". There Jesus spoke with Elijah and Moses about His "departure, which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem" (Luke 9:31). It appears to me that Jesus knew what would happen to Him when He went to Jerusalem, and Jesus went anyway.

I've been struggling lately with the appropriateness of planning, particularly making plans in ministry. I've asked, "Isn't it arrogant to make plans when God is sovereign?" You know the old joke: "If you want to make God laugh, then tell Him your plans!"

Then I reread this passage. I'm struck by the intentionality with which Jesus approached Jerusalem. It seems clear that Jesus had a plan (to enter Jerusalem at which time He would be lifted up). And, that Jesus carried out that plan "resolutely"!

This puts planning in a new and positive light for me. I hope it encourages you to seek God and make good plans. And, to carry them out resolutely.

Lon

2 comments:

Jarvis said...

We are told the Holy Spirit is our Counselor. What need is there for a counselor, if we have nothing to consider, nothing to plan, if we don't need wisdom for direction.

The first chapters of Genesis make the act of creation sound like the beginning of God's activity. However, He would have had eternity to plan every detail about our lives, the layout of the earth, what animals to create, etc., and how all of these details would co-exist, within man's free-will, and even once sin has entered the world. I believe if you look around you will realize there must have been some extensive planning involved. The bible also tells us that during all of this, Wisdom was there.

Having said all of that I know how you feel, Lon. Honestly at times I have thought, "What's the point? He's going to have His way anyway, right?" Yes, but, I believe the creation story also teaches us something else here. God wants us to [participate] in not just the process, but the experience. Too many people are just going through the process; that sounds so cold, and lifeless. "Life," someone said, "is not a problem to be figured out, but an experience to be lived" (loosely translated). Are there things to be figured out? Absolutely! But, that's not the point. You don't get a prize for figuring it all out. I don't have to be MacGuyver and rescue myself from this life with a piece of duct tape, some chewing gum, a ball point pen, and my Swiss Army knife.

I believe the opportunity (I didn't say 'task') we have been given to plan is part of this life experience God wants to share with us, and be a part of, because it is also something He Himself does and wants to share that wonder, that creativity, and joy in creating something. The next time you have to plan something out, remember that is an opportunity and ability given to you by God, for your enjoyment. I think we fail to understand all of the experiences available to us when we sit back and don't exercise our ability to plan and create. God certainly would like to be a part of this experience with you, but I fail to see in scripture where He has declared our plans to be a joke, or not worth conceiving. At least that's not the Father I have come know. My experience has been and still is of a father who loves to be with and encourage his children when they play on the floor with their building blocks. As a natural father I derived so much joy doing that with my daughter. In some small way that helps me understand how mu joy God takes in doing the same with us throughout my life.

Lon Alderman said...

Jarvis,

Thank for your confirmation and encouragement! I'm going to post your comment as today's Build UP so everyone can benefit from your thoughts! Thank you!

Lon