Monday, July 14, 2008

Watch Out For Holes, by Rachel Smith

I got out of my van the other day and was striding along in the sunshine feeling pretty happy about life. I have recently accepted a new job, have a new haircut and a new dress so I was humming and walking straight and tall in the late afternoon sunshine.

Then I hit a hole. My ankle twisted and I fell.
My pride was hurt and so was my foot. At that exact moment doubt crept in. I started to question my decisions and started to think of all of the "I can'ts".
Every whisper of small concern suddenly had a loud voice. I had fallen and in that moment of weakness I was overtaken by fear and doubt.

I can't help but relate to Peter. I ask Jesus to save me in my hour of need when I have large trials (family illness and loss of loved ones) but here I am getting out of the warm comfy boat and doubt settles in. Christ wants our faith both in and out of the boat.

Matthew 14:30-32 (New International Version)
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!" Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?" And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down.

No comments: