Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Law of Gravity, by Lon Alderman

Matthew 14:30
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

Rachel's article, Fear and Success, inspired me regarding the thoughts that fly through my brain when I step out in faith. I don't always respond well when God calls me, but when I do take a step of faith I find that I immediately feel the gravity of the situation.

As Peter stepped down out of that boat, he must have felt the strangest of feelings. He was a fisherman taught by years of time spent on the water that water will not hold a person up. His experience taught him that "in the boat" was the place to be. These established laws in his life must have been screaming in his mind as he began to do the impossible.

That must have been the moment he began to sink. That moment when he realized the impossibility of what he was doing. This same devastating thought sinks many a good step of faith. We forget the Jesus that got us out of the boat, because our "laws" tell us we can't.

Defy gravity and follow Jesus!
Lon

Subscribers: The Build Up site has been recently updated! You can now search the posts (almost 300 of them) through the use of "labels". Using the labels you can find specific posts to encourage you! For example, there are 10 posts dedicated to the topic of "trust". Check it out!

No comments: