Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Irrevocable Step, by Lon Alderman

Matthew 9:9
As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector's booth. "Follow me," he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him.

Twice in the last week I have felt God call me to action and twice I responded with a step I could not retract. They were not huge earth-shattering, walk-on-the-moon steps. In fact, these "steps" were very simple and consisted of two short emails. One asked for help and the other offered encouragement from scripture. The main thing these simple steps have in common is that I believe God called me to make them.

In each case, the step I took has developed some inertia. For example, I heard God lead me to ask a friend to help me get a project moving that I have been dreaming about for six years. I wrote a simple email and took the irrevocable step of sending it. I believe God has blessed that effort, because my friend has chosen to help me.

The lesson I'm learning is to listen to God's leading and then act upon it. Jesus put it this way, "Follow Me."

Listen ~ Act
Lon


No comments: