Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Acorn Build Up: Unlikely Heroes (1/3/07)

Unlikely Heroes

Romans 3:23
...all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God...

When I think of heroes I picture squeaky clean, mistake-free, super-human people. However, when I look through the history of our faith, I rarely (meaning only once) find God choosing that kind of person. Instead, God regularly (meaning almost always) chooses people that are anything but hero material.

These are just a few examples of the unlikely people God has chosen to be heroes of our faith.

Abraham and Sarah (parents of a nation who were childless in their old age)
Joseph (the one with the famous coat was a slave and convict)
Moses (murderer and shepherd)
Mary and Joseph (common, unmarried parents of the only perfect Hero)
The Disciples (rag tag common people)
Paul (who persecuted Christians)

And now He calls us! We are the next generation of unlikely heroes God is calling forth. Yes us, with our sinful nature and our human frailties. Paul wrote:


I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:13)

God's grace to you, hero!

No comments: