Tuesday, June 09, 2009

What are we afraid of?, by Lon Alderman

Do you have dreams that you can't seem to reach? Do you feel nudges toward taking certain positive actions, but can't seem to "pull the trigger"? Do you see needs out there, but choose to turn the other way? I do.

I almost always know what I should do, but something keeps me from doing it! Instead of acting, I quickly surmise every possible negative outcome. I itemize the difficulties and the costs. I tally up my shortcomings. Then I choose not to act.

I'm beginning to realize that most of these obstacles have, at their root, FEAR!

According to Oswald Chambers...
What line of thinking do my thoughts take? Do I turn to what God says or to my own fears? Am I simply repeating what God says, or am I learning to truly hear Him and then to respond after I have heard what He says? "For He Himself has said, ’I will never leave you nor forsake you.’ So we may boldly say: ’The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?’ " (Hebrews 13:5-6).

If we believe what God has promised, then what place can fear occupy in our life? In other words, if God promises to never leave us and never forsake us, then what are we afraid of?

Here's a simple action plan for overcoming fear-related obstacles:
1. Examine the obstacle
2. Identify the fear
3. Trust God
4. Move forward

With God, we can overcome our fears!
Lon Alderman
www.AcornMinistries.com

Check out over 350 additional posts (
accessible according to topic) by clicking on this link: Daily Build UP

No comments: