Saturday, June 13, 2009

Audience, by Lon Alderman

I'm having a ball playing in the pit orchestra for "Singin' in the Rain" with the Vermilion Players! I was reminded of this post (June 18, 2007) and think it's time to post it again.

Galatians 1:10
Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

I've just finished a very busy season of musical theatre. I played trumpet in the pit band for "West Side Story" in our local community theatre. Because of this experience the concept of "audience" is fresh in my head. Every ounce of effort that went into this production was for the purpose of pleasing the audience.

In this passage, Paul calls our attention to the most important audience of all. To whom are we performing? Singer and songwriter Sara Groves put it wonderfully in her song "This Journey is My Own". Here are some selected lyrics:

When I stand before the Lord,
I’ll be standing alone.
This journey is my own.
Still I want man’s advice,
and I need man’s approval,
but this journey is my own.

So much of what I do is to make a good impression.
This journey is my own.
So much of what I say is to make myself look better.
This journey is my own.

I have never felt relief like I feel it right now.
This journey is my own.
‘Cause trying to please the world
it was breaking me down...
Now I live and I breathe for an audience of one...
‘Cause I know this journey is my own

You can live for someone else
And it will only bring your pain
I can’t even judge myself
Only the Lord can say, “Well done.”

2 comments:

Robb McCoy said...

Lon,
Will this man says, "well done." The production was excellent. I've been thinking about this idea too. I was at Phil's retirement, and someone quoted the verse, "Well done, good and humble servant." And I thought, "Wow, I hope someone will be able to say that about me when I retire." Then I thought a little more, changed my mind and thought, "I hope the LORD will say that about me when I retire."

Lon Alderman said...

Great thoughts, Robb! I'll take it one step further: I hope the LORD says it WHENEVER I stand before Him, whether that is later this afternoon or long after my pastoral ministry ceases.

It was great seeing you at show this weekend!

Lon