Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Son Tanned, By Lon Alderman

During the pursuit of my bachelors degree (which took seven years and five schools) I recall noticing certain people as we returned from Christmas breaks. I could clearly see from their freshly tanned faces that they had spent their break somewhere warm. They stuck out in the crowd because the winter weather had caused most of the rest of us to become pretty pasty!

I deduced from their tans that they had the necessary wealth to spend their break in a warm and exotic location. I remember thinking, "Wouldn't it be great to have enough money to spend my vacations on the beach?" I wanted to be like them; to have what they had!

We make assumptions about people by the way they look. What are we telling people about Jesus by the way we look?

The town I live in is currently in turmoil as the local state prison is slated to close. As I scan the crowd I see here and there a face that sticks out. These faces aren't panicked. They aren't downcast and gloomy. Instead, I see in their faces a peace and confidence that is remarkable.


One shining example is my friend Troy. He works at the prison and will be directly affected by this closure. However, his response to this circumstance is strikingly different than the crowd. Troy's response, "God is in this situation, so He will get me through it."

That's what I call Son-tanned! I want to be like him, and have what he has!

Thanks, Troy!
Lon

Matthew 5:15-16
Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

No comments: