Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Guest Encourager: Rachel Smith "Suffering"

Suffering - by Rachel Smith

Romans 5:2-4
Through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

Music has a profound impact on our health and mental well being. Often a song touches our hearts in a place we could not reach on our own. The power of words paired with rhythm is truly a gift. I had the blessing of attending The Uprising Festival in Colorado this summer. I was pleased to see great bands like Third Day, Mercy Me and Jars of Clay. But God brought me all the way to Colorado from my home state of Illinois to hear a song. To have some comfort. To understand the “why” for even a moment.

My hardships are probably no worse than yours. They may have a different title or different people involved, but at the core pain is pain. I desperately try not to wear my pain as a badge of honor. I try not to compare and “one up” my life circumstances with those of others. My pain and my joy are to bring Glory to God.

If through a brief and momentary suffering I can somehow bring encouragement to others, comfort to the hurting and Glory to the Lord. Then bring it on!

Rachel

No comments: