Monday, October 01, 2007

Guest Encourager: Rachel Smith "Morning Coffee"

Morning Coffee, by Rachel Smith

Hebrews 3:13
But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.

Often times we take for granted those people who always seem to look on the brighter side of life. You know the ones that can find that one positive thing in a pile of negatives. After a crazy morning of rushing kids to school and making a mad dash through the coffeehouse only to spill half of the steaming cup on your new white shirt, this friend smiles and says, “well at least it didn’t get on your pants too.”

Wow! What a way to look at life. Do you see the cup as always half full as the optimist does? Or do you see it half empty as the pessimist? Not being a perpetual optimist myself, I prefer to call the half empty cup, realistic. In fact, I slant towards the service orientation. This is a cup in need of being filled.

But what if that person who fills the cup for us awakes one morning to find their own cup empty? Every now and then even the optimist has a ‘cup is completely empty day’. This is why we are ALL to encourage each other DAILY. Some of us encourage with words, some with acts of service, and some with gifts or other methods. Find your way of encouraging and fill some ones cup today.

Rachel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
Thanks for this reminder. I am an encourager and recently had a "cup 1/2 empty WEEK". Thankfully, some of my friends are my encouragers and they were a blessing to me. I had a harder time receiving the encouragement, pride thing happening, than giving encouragement even in my own distress.

Your post reminded me that it is very ok to receive/need encouragment as well as offer it to others.

Thanks!
Sandy Egle