Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Acorn Build Up: Fanning the Flames

Fanning the Flames

2Timothy 1:6-7
For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline.

One of my favorite things about camping is the campfire. In order to keep the flames going, I must tend the fire. I add wood, rearrange the placement of the logs, and, if needed, I blow air onto the embers to keep the fire going. If I leave the fire alone too long, the flames will die out and eventually the fire will die.

Our faith, like a campfire, takes effort to keep it "burning". We have to tend our faith or, it too, will lose its flame and eventually die out. Here are a few of the many ways to fan the flames of our faith:

* prayer - there's no better way to build a relationship than to talk with the Lord throughout the day
* scripture - read the Bible every day
* study - sit with others and discover God through His Holy Word
* worship - join with others in the presence of the Lord to lift our praises

Fanning is intentional participation in activities that add fuel, heat, and air to our faith. God gave us this awesome gift, now it is our responsibility to care for and feed it.

Happy fanning!
Lon

No comments: