Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Guest Encourager: Rachel Smith "Words"

Words by Rachel Smith

Ephesians 4:29
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

My brother taught me something when my father died. I'm sure my brother doesn't even know it, but our actions often speak louder than our words. My father's mother, was never a grandmother to us. In fact she was very mean to both of us and to my mother. I've never cared for her and my father always had us call her by her first name, because she didn't want to claim us as her grandchildren. She now has Alzheimer's and it's in latter stages. She came to my father's memorial service and said some inappropriate and hurtful things. I fumed. How could she continue this meanness even after his death! But my brother went up to her and hugged her and said, "Hi grandma, I'm so sorry"

His kindness was a great lesson on what our words are for. A lesson I will never forget.

No comments: