Friday, March 30, 2007

Acorn Build Up: Sharpening

Sharpening

Proverbs 27:17 (ESV)
Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.

Do you have someone in your life that sharpens you? I don't mean someone that causes you to respond sharply; rather, is there someone that makes you better? It is an amazing thing when one person invests in the sharpening of another. If you don't currently have an encourager in your life, I strongly recommend finding one.

I have a friend, Ed Pears, who is one of my sharpeners. I worked for Ed at YMCA camps during the summers of 1984-87. The first amazing thing is that he hired me. The second unbelievable part of this story is that he hired me back after the first summer. But even more remarkable is that for the last 20 years Ed has called me almost every month to "check in" with me. When times are tough he has called me weekly. And when life was almost unbearable, Ed called me daily. I am a better man because of the 24 years Ed has sharpened me.

If you have a person in your life that has been a great encourager, please consider writing up a brief description of how that person has sharpened and encouraged you. I hope to share your stories on this blog with occasional Encourager Spotlights.

Happy sharpening!
Lon

No comments: