Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Had Forgotten, by Lon Alderman

Galatians 3:26-29
You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Today, I was having a wonderful discussion with a dear friend and colleague over breakfast. In the midst of our effort to solve all the problems that effect the Church, we were interrupted by the restaurant owner. He shouted for us to draw our attention to the large screen television which showed pictures of the preparations being made for today's inauguration of President Barack Obama. This was an unusual thing for the owner to do. Actually, I'd never heard him speak until today. But that wasn't what upset me...

Before his words had finished settling onto the flour of this small diner an over-fed man in his sixties let go with a politically and racially charged remark! I couldn't believe he had said it! I don't know this man, but I can tell you a great deal about him as a result of his attempt at humor! This was so unsettling to me because I guess I had forgotten just how divided we are in this world by such things as political party and the color of a person's skin.

Lord Jesus, heal this land. Heal it from its divisions of gender, political affiliation, wealth, and race. Keep my mind sharpened to the need for healing, because I had forgotten...

In God we trust,
Lon


No comments: