Thursday, May 28, 2009

Forward to the Dawn

I ran across this in today's sermon preparation:

Luke 9:61-62
Still another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say good-by to my family."

Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."

Here are William Barclay's thoughts on this passage...

[Jesus'] words to the third man state a truth which no one can deny. No ploughman ever ploughed a straight furrow looking back over his shoulder. There are some whose hearts are in the past. They walk forever looking backwards and thinking wistfully of the good old days.

Watkinson, the great preacher, tells how once at the seaside, when he was with his little grandson, he met an old minister. The old man was very disgruntled and, to add to all his troubles, he had a slight touch of sunstroke. The little boy had been listening but had not picked it up quite correctly; and when they left the grumbling complaints of the old man, he turned to Watkinson and said, “Granddad, I hope you never suffer from a sunset!”


The Christian marches on, not to the sunset, but to the dawn. The watchword of the kingdom is not, “Backwards!” but “Forwards!” To this man Jesus did not say either, “Follow!” or “Return!” he said, “I accept no lukewarm service,” and left the man to make his own decision.

Need I say more?

By the way, you can listen to my weekly sermons and find out where I'm preaching by clicking on the following links:

Weekly Sermons
Preaching Schedule

Forward to the dawn!
Lon Alderman
www.AcornMinistries.com

No comments: