Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Build UP: Peace

Peace

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Jesus gives us peace. When we know Him, we can find peace no matter what the world hands us. And peace is an awesome thing to have when the world we live in provides us a daily dose of chaos, disappointment, attacks, and frustrations.

Yet that same world tells us to seek our comfort in a new car, retirement, a new wardrobe, a cruise, or a new love interest. We're led to believe that when we attain them we will be happy, peaceful, and content.

The truth is, I haven't found anyone yet that found any lasting peace in any of these lures. Granted, they have some fun and enjoy the moment, but morning comes and the peace is gone. The sad truth is most people pick themselves up, brush themselves off, and take off after the next thing that they're told will make them happy.

There is only one source of lasting peace and that is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. His peace lasts forever! His peace is available no matter what the world throws at us, and believe me the world hurls at us constantly. I can't remember where I first heard this, but I'm passing it on anyway because I think it presents tremendous wisdom:

Frustration is losing sight of God.

The parallel positive statement could be: Find God and find peace.

Find God.
Lon

No comments: